The IASS was founded as a registered association (in German: e.V.) on 2 February 2009 on the recommendation of the German Science Alliance to create an international, interdisciplinary centre of excellence for advanced sustainability studies in Potsdam. The purpose of the association is to promote science and research on global sustainability, particularly in the areas of climate change, the Earth system and sustainable development, to train young scientists, and further exchange and dialogue at the intersection of research, politics, civil society and the media.
This objective will be achieved by:
- conducting excellent research at an interdisciplinary and international institute that is supported by the German Science Alliance and its institutions;
- supporting national and international visiting scientists (fellows) in their pursuit of freely chosen research projects in Potsdam for a limited period of time;
- forming strategic partnerships with selected universities and non-university research institutes to intensify research cooperations;
- initiating strategic dialogue with representatives of business, politics, civil society and the arts;
- disseminating scientific results.