Science for Sustainable TRANSformations: Towards Effective GOVernance
Synthesis Report available!
November 29, 2011. The Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS), Potsdam, presents the summary report at the closure of TransGov, its first collaborative project. The authors examine dynamic questions of how – with an attuned understanding of complex societal mechanisms – better governance systems can be designed and implemented for sustainability reform, in which non-state organizations and civil society are more involved in decision-making. They argue that the existing governance approaches to social transformation processes, such as the energy transition, are not suitable. The English report by Prof. Roeland in’t Veld is available in print and as gratis download here. The report is availabe for download in PDF form.
TransGov, the first fully-fledged research project of IASS, brought together scholars from various disciplines and practitioners, aiming at creating new ideas for the governance of sustainable development through:
- Making top scientific insights available and useful for solution thinking on sustainability and climate change issues.
- Contributing to the methodology for integrating 'hard' knowledge from various scientific disciplines, and 'soft' knowledge produced by societal actors, and shaping participatory approaches for better decisions and more effective implementation.
- Evaluating constraints and opportunities for the contribution of knowledge in democratic decision making processes.
- Framing evidence-based reasoning for preventing unsustainable trends from turning into runaway emergency situations.
- Exploring knowledge-bound governance concepts that address non-mainstream carbon strategies and change management processes that foster sustainability.
- Organizing the research process in a deliberative way which involves researchers from various disciplines and stakeholders from the public and private sectors as well as civil society.
- The project started summer of 2010 and ended summer of 2011. TransGov is a project of the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS) in Potsdam, Germany. Founding director is Prof. Dr. Klaus Töpfer.