- Climate Engineering
- Politics, history and philosophy of science and technology, climate change, climate engineering, governance of emerging technologies
Since 09/2012 Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies
- Since 12/2015: Program Leader, Emerging Technologies and Social Transformations in the Anthropocene.
- 06/2013 – 11/2015: Academic Officer and co-leader, Interdisciplinary Re-search Microcosm on Climate Engineering.
- 09/2012 – 05/2013: Project Scientist.
07/2016 Dr. Phil. in political science from Freie Universität Berlin
09/2009 – 08/2012 Berlin Social Science Center (WZB)
- Guest researcher in the research unit Transnational Conflicts and International Institutions (now Global Governance)
10/2003 – 08/2009: MA in political science, history and philosophy at the University of Tübingen, Germany and Cornell University, USA
Selected Publications prior to joining the IASS
- Zürn, M. and S. Schäfer. 2013. The Paradox of Climate Engineering. Global Policy, doi: 10.1111/gpol.12004.
- Zürn, M. and S. Schäfer. 2011. Climate Engineering: Internationale Beziehungen und politische Regulierung. Scoping study commissioned by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Berlin. WZB.
- Schäfer, S. 2009. Die Zukunft des UNESCO-Welterbesystems: Reformansätze für das 21. Jahrhundert. Vereinte Nationen 57, 6, pp. 243-248.
- Contributing author, 5th Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Chair, Steering Committee of the Climate Engineering Conference series
- Member, Federation of German Scientists
- Reviewer for Nature Climate Change, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, Routledge, Nature and Culture, Climate Policy, Global Policy, and others.
Selected Lectures and Speeches
- Geo-Engineering – Die internationale Perspektive. Delivered at the Fall Workshop of the Koordinationsstelle Wirtschaft und Umwelt of the Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Umwelt Nürtingen-Geislingen, 04 November 2016.
- Understanding global climate governance form a geoengineering perspective. Delivered at the International Workshop on Emerging Issues in Global Climate Governance after Paris: Perspectives from Asia and Europe, Hong Kong, 27-28 October 2016.
- Kann Climate Engineering helfen, wo die Politik versagt hat? Delivered at the Top Management Symposium of the Wissenschaftsverein Kärnten, Abbazia di Rosazzo, Italy, 26-28 May 2016.
- The Governance of Solar Geoengineering. Delivered at the UNESCO conference Our Common Future Under Climate Change, Paris, 9 July 2015.
- Projections of International Conflict and Cooperation on Geoengineering. Delivered at the Workshop on Problems and Prospects of Geoengineering, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 16 April 2015.
- Geoengineering Governance. Delivered at the Geoengineering Workshop of the Senckenberg Museum and the Normative Orders Excellence Cluster, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main, 17 July 2014.
- Issues and Research under EuTRACE. Delivered at the Workshop of the UK Economic and Social Science Research Council Geoengineering Governance Project at the Institute for Urban and Environmental Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Science, Beijing, China, 13-14 May 2014.
- Climate-related Geoengineering. Delivered at the European Expert Meeting in Preparation of the Eighteenth Meeting of SBSTTA (Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice to the Conference of the Parties of the Convention on Biological Diversity), German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN), Island of Vilm, Germany, 7 May 2014.
- International Law and Governance for Climate Engineering. Delivered at the Policy Briefing on Climate Engineering, Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations, Paris, France, 19 March 2014.
- The International Politics of Engineering the Climate. Delivered at the Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities, Essen, Germany, 10 March 2014.
- International Governance of Climate Engineering. Policy Briefing on Climate Engineering, Norwegian Parliament, Oslo, Norway, 4 March 2014.
- Climate Engineering Research Activities at the IASS. Delivered at the Special Session on Geoengineering Research, University of Tokyo, Japan, 18 December 2013.
- International Cooperation on Solar Radiation Management. Delivered at the International Symposium on Risk Governance of Science and Technology, University of Tokyo, Japan, 15-17 December 2013.
- The Slippery Slope(s) in Climate Engineering. Delivered at the Workshop on Geoengineering, Path-Dependence and Lock-in, University College London, 25 October 2013.
Honors and Awards
- 06/2014 – 05/2015 Fellow, Robert Bosch Foundation program on Global Governance Futures 2025
- 11/2009 – 08/2012 PhD scholarship from the Dahlem Research School and the Hertie Foundation