+49 331 28822-364
- Sustainable Modes of Arctic Resource-driven Transformations (SMART)
- Arctic/High North region
- International relations and institutions
- Arctic energy, shipping and fishing
- Stakeholder engagement
- Maritime law
- Ecosystem-based management
- 2013 - current: Project Scientist at Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS Potsdam), Cluster “Sustainable Interactions with the Atmosphere (SIWA)”
- 2009 - 2013: Ph.D. Candidate at the Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies (BTS), Freie Universität Berlin, Germany. Thesis title: "Cooperation and Conflict in the Arctic - The Cases of Energy, Shipping and Fishing", Thesis supervisors: Prof. Thomas Risse, Prof. Oran Young
- 09/2012 - 12/2012: Doctoral Fellow at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of International Relations, Israel
- since 2011: Europe Director at The Arctic Institute (www.thearcticinstitute.org)
- 2007 – 2009: Master of Science (Two Years) in European Affairs at Lunds Universitet, Sweden
- 2004 – 2007: Bachelor of Arts in International Relations (B.A.I.R.) at Technical University Dresden, Germany
Selected Publications prior to joining the IASS
- Keil, Kathrin, 2014: “The Arctic: A new region of conflict? The case of oil and gas”, Cooperation and Conflict, Vol. 49, Issue 2, pp. 160-188.
- Knecht, Sebastian – Keil, Kathrin, 2013: “Arctic Geopolitics Revisited: Spatialising Governance in the Circumpolar North”, The Polar Journal, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 178-203.
- Keil, Kathrin, 2013: “Arctic Energy Geopolitics: Hydrocarbon Hopes and Challenges”, Global Energy Monitor, Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp. 1-4, Center for Energy Governance & Security, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Keil, Kathrin, 2012: “Opening Oil and Gas Development in the Arctic: A Conflict and Risk Assessment”, Tvergastein Interdisciplinary Journal of the Environment, 2nd issue, November 2012, pp. 36-43.
- Keil, Kathrin, 2012: “The EU in the Arctic ‘Game’ – The Concert of Arctic Actors and the EU’s Newcomer Role”. FU Berlin Dokumentenserver. Available at: http://edocs.fu-berlin.de/docs/receive/FUDOCS_document_000000012748
Selected Lectures and Speeches
- 11/2014: Commentator at event “Canada as an Arctic Player: Implications for Europe”, organized by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Auswärtige Politik (DGAP), Berlin, Germany.
- 10/2014: Key note speaker at “Arctic in Rapid Transition Workshop (ART): Integrating spatial and temporal scales in the changing Arctic System (ISTAS)”, presentation on “Multidisciplinary Arctic Research” and “Sustainability and Resources in the Arctic”, Brest, France.
- Since 10/2014: Visiting lecturer at University of Potsdam, Chair of International Politics, Master Seminar during winter semester 2014/15 on “The Changing Arctic in International Relations – A Multidisciplinary Approach”.
- 09/2014: Key note speaker at Seminar “A Sustainable Arctic: Preconditions, pitfalls and potentials”, presentation on “Economic Outlooks of Arctic Shipping: Where, When and What?”, organized by Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Latvia, Bergen, Norway.
- 05/2014: Invited organization of a break-out session on “Informing Policy-Makers” at Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) Career Development Workshop at ICASS VIII Conference, Prince George, Canada.
- 10/2013: Invited speaker at Arctic Futures Symposium 2013 and Arctic NGO Forum: A Holistic Approach to a Sustainable Arctic, presentation on “Economic Significance and Industry Outlook on Arctic Shipping Opportunities”, Brussels, Belgium.
- 09/2012: Invited speaker at Arctic Future Forum 2012: An Ambitious Agenda for Canada’s Leadership of the Arctic Council, presentation on “The EU as a Prospective Permanent Observer to the Arctic Council”, organized by Rideau Institute, Ottawa, Canada.
Honors and Awards
- 02/2013 - 04-2013: Dissertation Completion Grant, Fritz Thyssen Foundation
- 01/2013 and 01/2012: Young Scientists Forum Travel Scholarship, for Arctic Frontiers Conference 2013 and 2012 in Tromsø, Norway
- 09/2012 - 12/2012: Doctoral Exchange Fellowship, Einstein Foundation Berlin, BTS/DAAD Travel Grant for research stay at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- 2009 - 2012: Ph.D. Scholarship from the Dahlem Research School, Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies