Kleist-Villa & Bank building

Kleist Villa & Bank Building

The Federal State of Brandenburg made the premises of the Kleist Villa on Berliner Strasse 130 and the office building on Helmholtzstrasse 5 available to the IASS.

Potsdam’s Berliner Vorstadt borough extends along Berliner Strasse, flanked by two lakes, the Heiliger and the Tiefer See. The area is full of world heritage sites such as Babelsberg Park and the New Garden and is a popular residential area of Potsdam.

 
 

This part of the city has recently experienced a revival with the building of the Schiffbauergasse Cultural Centre on a former military and commercial site. It is now home to the Hans Otto Theatre, the Fabrik Dance Theatre, T-Werk, the Fluxus Plus Museum and the Waschhaus.

 

A Short History of the Kleist Villa

1824

Built for Oberst von Malachowski, commander of Guard Hussars in Potsdam

1910–1924

Owned by the Royal Chamberlain Baron Ewald von Kleist (rebuilt by the architect Otto Rehnig)

1924–1947

Privately owned by Otto von Wrede

1947

The premises were sold to the Garantie- und Kreditbank

1951

Purchased by the City of Potsdam and transferred to the Brandenburg branch of the Deutsche Investitionsbank; subsequently taken over by the State Bank of the GDR

1990–1997

Potsdam head office of the German Central Bank

1998–2000

Renovation and subsequent use by the German Central Bank as a training centre

Since 2009

Location of the IASS